In sports, for athletes to perform at their best, they often need to be motivated. Football is no different than other sports. Here is a collection of top ten Football quotes which helps to boost Football players and keep them focused on the game, even when they are losing. These quotes may even inspire coaches and parents, which in turn may lead them to motivate their players.
Read on, and please post your comments at the end of the page.
“The critics are always right. The only way you shut them up is by winning.”
- Charles Henry Noll – (January 5, 1932 – June 13, 2014)
- American professional football player and head coach.
- Sole head coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL (1969 to 1991)
“The harder you WORK, the harder it is to SURRENDER”
- Marvin Daniel Levy – born August 3, 1925
- Former Gridiron Football Coach and Executive.
- Head Coach in the NFL, 17 seasons.
“Never give up, never give in, and when the upper hand is ours, may we have the ability to handle the win with the dignity that we absorbed the loss.”
- Douglas Lee Williams – born August 9, 1955
- American Football Executive.
- Former Quarterback and Coach.
- Named Super Bowl MVP for his best performance in Super Bowl XXII.
“Football is like life. It requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication, and respect for authority.”
- Vincent Thomas Lombardi – (June 11, 1913 – September 3, 1970)
- American football coach and executive in the NFL
- During the 1960s, Head coach of the Green Bay Packers.
“Winning isn’t everything, but it beats anything that comes in second.”
- Paul William “Bear” Bryant (September 11, 1913 – January 26, 1983)
- Head coach, University of Alabama football team.
- Amassed 6 national championships, 13 conference championships.
“You need to play with supreme confidence, or else you’ll lose again, and then losing becomes a habit.”
- Joseph Vincent Paterno – (December 21, 1926 – January 22, 2012)
- Head coach, Penn State Nittany Lions (1966 to 2011)
- Recorded 409th victory on October 29, 2011
“For me, winning isn’t something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowd’s roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream.”
- Emmitt James Smith III – born May 15, 1969
- American former professional football player.
- Running back in the NFL.
- Three-time Super Bowl champion with the Cowboys.
- League’s all-time leading rusher.
“Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you’re in control, they’re in control.”
- Thomas Wade Landry – (September 11, 1924 – February 12, 2000)
- American professional football player and coach.
- First head coach, Dallas Cowboys, in the NFL for 29 seasons.
- Won 2 Super Bowl titles (in Super Bowl VI and XII), 5 NFC titles, and 13 divisional titles.
“When you’ve got something to prove, there’s nothing greater than a challenge”
- Terry Paxton Bradshaw – born September 2, 1948
- American former professional football player, also an actor and singer.
- The quarterback in the NFL for the Pittsburgh Steelers played for 14 seasons.
- A television sports analyst and co-host of Fox NFL Sunday.
- Won four Super Bowl titles.
“I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it.”
- Gale Eugene Sayers – (May 30, 1943 – September 23, 2020)
- American professional football player.
- Halfback and return specialist in the NFL.